Learning what Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is all about and how it can help your business is a crucial task that every company needs to understand. Though some believe SEO to be dead, the pros say that it’s far from dead and needs to be leveraged properly. So, let us dive deeper to take a close look at what SEO is all about and why your website should be SEO optimized.
A small example to explain SEO in layman’s terms:
Here is the one example.
Travel Website: A user who is planning a vacation to visit Singapore. He doesn’t have any direct reference and name to any website. What he does he simply go to any major search engines such as Google.com or Bing.com and enters the text in a search field, such as Singapore trip or Singapore tourism, or Singapore tour packages.Once you hit the search button, you will get the top 10 website results on the first page of google. There will be around 200+ pages for such a search terms. But the user would only visit the 1st or 2nd-page results.
Finally, he will click any of websites site and purchase the holiday package. So, it will be a conversion for that website where customer purchase the products or services.
Search Engine Optimization – What is it?
Search Engine Optimization refers to certain rules that you can use to optimize your website and make it easy for search engine robots to know what your website is all about. The way humans view and understand a web page is quite different from how the search engine bots see it. With SEO, search engine bots can understand what a page is about and how users can benefit from it, based on which the pages are ranked. Thus, with proper SEO techniques, you can improve your search engine rankings.
Since the entire process of SEO involves several stages, specific rules and several controls, it not only helps your website become search engine friendly but even paves the way for making it user-friendly along with ensuring it’s easier and quicker to navigate.
Getting your page rank on the first page of search engines will help you get good traffic and exposure to your services and products free of cost.
A Website without search engine optimization won’t help you to build good organic traffic. SEO is a process where you follow standard guidelines to rank your keywords related to your products and services niche to get you on the first page of search engines.
Why is SEO important for your website?
In today’s highly competitive digital landscape, people use search engines to search for or know more about a product or service. Even when they have any queries or problems, they go online and use search engines to find the answers. When the search phrases relate to your niche or business, you would want your website to be among the top few search engine result pages (SERPS) as these are the ones that mostly get clicked through. With SEO, you can ensure proper visibility of your website and even proper positioning among SERPs for relevant search phrases, which would help improve your web traffic that you can eventually use to boost your conversions and sales. So, if you are still wondering why SEO is important for your business, these are the reasons that will help you decide in its favor:
- Several studies show that the top 5 suggestions in SERPS get the most clicks from users. To feature among these top SERPS and get a huge number of visitors to your website, SEO is the key.
- Since users trust the top suggestions among SERPS, being featured highly for the relevant keywords a user is searching would improve your website’s credibility in his/her eyes.
- With SEO, you can’t only bait the search engine bots but even impress visitors with your site’s improved usability and user experience.
- Good SEO helps your website to get found. People landing on your site and being impressed by it may end up sharing the same across various social media platforms (Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+ etc), thus helping in your website’s social promotion.
- If you run a big website with multiple authors, you can benefit directly and indirectly from SEO. While a surge in web traffic is a direct benefit, having a common checklist that can be followed to publish site content the right way (that would attract both humans and the search engine bots) is an indirect benefit.
- A website that’s search engine optimized tends to get more customers and thus enjoys better sales figures. So, with SEO, you can stay ahead in the race.
- Organic SEO is cost-effective (when you compare it with other modes of online marketing like PPC advertising, buying leads for building email marketing list, social media marketing etc) and offers you reasonably good ROI. With it, you can create a robust presence online.
- As a growing number of people are using mobiles and other smart devices to search online and find what they need, using SEO techniques like local search optimization have become key to attract local clientele.
- SEO is a continuous process and unless you use it for your business, you will be giving undue advantage to your competitors who will be using SEO to move forward and improve their market share. So, don’t lose ground to your competitors by ignoring SEO.
To read the second part, click here.